We are Tennessee’s university.
What began in 1794 as a small college in the Southwest Territory has grown into Tennessee’s flagship university and premier public research institution. For more than 225 years, Volunteers have been lighting the way for others, across Tennessee and throughout the world.
UT Knoxville, which includes the UT Space Institute and the UT Institute of Agriculture, serves the state by educating its citizens, enhancing its culture, and making a difference in people’s lives through research and service.
We embody excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement.
UT Knoxville is:
- Tennessee’s flagship university and premier public research institution
- Part of the University of Tennessee System, along with UT Chattanooga, UT Martin, the UT Health Science Center, and UT Southern
- Classified as producing very high research activity by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education (Doctoral Universities R1 category)
- Co-manager of Oak Ridge National Laboratory with Battelle Memorial Institute as UT-Battelle
- A Carnegie Community Engaged university
- Governed by a board of trustees with 12 members
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of University of Tennessee, Knoxville, may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404-679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
Mission, Goals, and Commitments
Our vision is of a world enriched by our ideas, improved through our action, and inspired by the Volunteer spirit of service and leadership.
Chancellor Donde Plowman
The chancellor manages the Knoxville campus.
Learn more about the chancellor
Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor John Zomchick
The provost oversees campus academic activities.
It Takes a Volunteer
Support and community are what we do best, and our students find both every step of the way.